With just a few minutes to go before Sandman’s Netflix debut, Neil Gaiman finally had the chance to reveal why an adaptation, whether on TV or film, took so long.
The creator admitted that he was always very concerned about the quality of the script.
”I didn’t always have hope that we would get here, but I had faith that the important thing was to prevent bad versions from being made. Once the bad version is made, it can never undo (the damage).”
I told Total Film Magazine (via Heroic Hollywood).
“It may sound silly, but when I was 14 or 15, my favorite comic was Howard the Duck. Steve Gerber, Gene Colan, Frank Brunner, lots of satire, madness, glory… I was so excited when I heard that George Lucas was making a movie (as an executive producer).
And then Howard the Superhero left. From that moment on, this character became a bad joke. I never wanted that to happen with Sandman, and I’ve seen scripts that would make it happen.”
- Follow MyCellTop on Google News and don’t miss anything about Pop Culture!
- Netflix reveals posters of Corinthian and Constantine in Sandman
- Sandman | Mark Hamill will voice Merv in the series
The main cast consists of:
- Tom Sturridge (Rock Pirates) as Morpheus
- Charles Dance (Game of Thrones) as Roderick Burgess, a charlatan, blackmailer and magician.
- Gwendoline Christie (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) as Lucifer.
- Boyd Holbrook (Logan) as Corinthian, a nightmare created by Morpheus himself to represent all that is most perverse in human nature.
- Vivienne Acheampong (The Witches) as Lucienne, one of Morpheus’ most trusted associates.
- Asim Chaudhry (Wonder Woman 1984) and Sanjeev Bhaskar (Unforgotten) as Abel, “the first victim,” and Cain, “the first predator,” respectively.
- Mason Alexander Park as Desire;
- Donna Preston as Despair;
- David Thewlis as John Dee;
- Razane Jammal as Lyta Hall;
- Stephen Fry as Gilbert;
- Patton Oswalt as Matthew the Raven;
- Joely Richardson like Ethel Cripps;
- Niamh Walsh as the young Ethel Cripps;
- Kyo Ra as Rose Walker;
- Sandra James Young like Unity Kincaid;
Original creator Neil Gaiman wrote the pilot episode alongside David Goyer and Allan Heinberg. However, the authorship of the remaining ten episodes will be Heinberg, who also assumes the role of main producer.
the HQ of sandman lasted 75 issues (from 1989 to 1996), telling the story of Dream (also known as Morpheus), an ancient and powerful being who is the embodiment of dream and imagination. He is one of the Endless, a group of seven brothers that includes Delirium, Desire, Destruction, Despair, Fate and Death.